Thursday, August 18, 2005

Fallen Soldiers and Their Moms

Why is it that the media gives so much attention to Cindy Sheehan and ignores the fact that so very many military families actually support the war? I respect any mom in her grief of having lost a son, and I know these fallen soldiers chose a profession I'd be too much of a wimp to take to, but as several military moms point out, that's exactly what their children signed up for - to defend freedom. And yet the media, keen to tell a story (that the war is unpopular) continues its daily coverage of Sheehan and Co.

To be fair, I don't think it's just a liberal bias. I think it's the media's need to find news. Sheehan is news. People saying they support our policies aren't. You could do a piece emphasizing how life in Iraq is compared to barbaric Saddam times, but negative stories sell - positive ones don't (except when we are overcome with emotion like after 9/11) Oh, and they actually take some work. Sure, there are common men in Baghdad who hate the US, but I bet you there are just as many appreciative that they could actually vote for a government (and heck, did they vote or what!)

No comments: