Sunday, September 16, 2007

Rant of the Day: "Self Help"

One of my favorite places in the world is a bookstore, but if there's one gripe I have, it's the section titled 'Self-Help'. I mean, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with books from Dr Phil being labeled such, but the issue with this big sweep was that all manner of books are tagged as such. So you read a book on improving your productivity, getting more from life, being a better person ... Self-Help, Self-Help and Self-Help.

Now, I'm not normally one for tags. Readers of my ramblings know I'm not particularly PC. But I do object with the self-help tag. It suggests people who read these books are somehow flawed. Well, it's true, we're all flawed and imperfect, but that leads me to my gripe. By using a demeaning term as "self-help", it drives so many people from seeking to become better people. And thus, we have a society filled with people who are convinced they are perfect; that seeking to discover your flaws and insecurities is somehow an indication that you aren't quite right ... I've even had people brag about how they haven't changed since they were a teenager! Well, newsflash: if you aren't changing, you aren't growing!

No comments: