Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Case for Breakfast

Men's Health magazine had eating breakfast as part of their 12-week physical transformation program, and had this to say about the importance of the meal:
University of Massachusetts researchers recently discovered that men who don't eat in the a.m. are 4.5 times more likely to be obese than those who make it an everyday habit...And timing matters: Make sure you eat your first meal within an hour and a half of waking. The scientists found that guys who waited longer than that increased the likelihood they'd become heavyweights by 50 percent.

And may I recommend the Boca burger and a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal - they are low in fat, loaded in fiber and the former has a fair amount of protein - potent combo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And next year they'll have "The Case for Lunch" and the year after that "The Case for Dinner" and you'll start following those too? ;-)

I think each person is so different and that a study can't really tell you what will be effective. And I can't bring myself to attention to studies -- who knows how they are biased... Well, here is a nice read about listening to yourself-vs-the-experts (http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/06/trust-yourself-not-the-experts/ )

Here is my breakfast menu: a tablespoon of honey and .5-glasses of water before I leave for work, bananna and nuts (pecans, cashews, almonds and pistachios -- I buy them peeled and raw) and a couple glasses of water and a tablet of Vitamin C. Works well for me know -- I like the lightness of my meal.

-*-

BTW, I just came back from Spokane, Washington (I'm definitely moving there sometime!!!). Had lunch at the Huckleberry's Natural Market -- wow!!! Simply amazing. Think of it as Trader Joe's times 100. It has a cafe inside with really cool vegetarian dishes!! (called 9th Street Bistro). The menu online (http://www.huckleberrysnaturalmarket.com/pages/menu.htm) doesn't do it justice -- they had atleast 20-30 different vegetarian and vegan dishes. And they conduct many events inside the store -- like wine tasting, live music, cooking demonstrations... you would love it there.

(Oh yeah -- I had the stuffed green peppers (with tofu, rice and some seasoning), with the grilled-vegetable pasta and a salad for lunch!)