Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Airline Diets

During my recent trip to India, I flew United from Washington, DC to Frankfurt and then Lufthansa from there to Chennai. During my visits, it struck me how much airline food might reflect how the cultures eat. (Ok, so I don't really know how Germans eat!) A disclaimer - I ate vegetarian meals on both legs. The United meal was fatty and sugar-laden - breakfast was something like a Honey bun, and certainly something that would make a cardiologist see plenty bucks! The Lufthansa meal, on the other hand, was tasty, made with obviously fresher ingredients including olives and artichokes (YUM!). But the meal was also a lot lighter (bad for a big eater like me!). Even their soda cans are smaller! Maybe flying the national airline reflects a lot about the national diet?

No comments: