Sunday, September 17, 2006

Viva Wal-Mart

As a grad student, I live on a pretty tight budget. Heaven knows what I would have done without Wal-Mart and Sam's Club (although recently the prices and choices at Kroger has me wondering if I should renew my Sam's Club membership). So it obviously annoys me when constituents like me are ignored by rich anti-Walmart liberals who love to bash the chain and all capitalism stands for. Enter George Will to the rescue, with a passionate piece that puts numbers behind some of my arguments...

Will notes that more than 25,000 people applied for the 325 openings for the Walmart at Evergreen Park, IL - a far cry from the cries of poverty level wages! In fact, Wal-mart hires 1.3 million employees, making it the largest private employer and with as many personnel as the US military. Saves shoppers $200 billion a year! Oh, I could go on, but just read the article for yourself... and say viva Wal-Mart!!

No comments: