Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Are Hybrids Really Cool?

I am a HUGE fan of the hybrid car concept, but I was a little disappointed to read this story. Turns out not all hybrids do very well in achieving gas mileage - heck, the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra get a measly 1-2 mpg over their gasoline version. Good ol' GMC needs to go - I can't say I'd shed any tears for the loss of an American icon - what good are icons of yore when they are such bad role models of today?

This story also left me curious about one thing - who on earth buys a hybrid that gets 21 mpg? I mean, if you love a mean road machine, I guess you live with your conscience, but how stupid do you have to pay a premium for a vehicle that gets 1-2 mpg. Consumers of hybrids don't mind paying a premium for a cleaner vehicle, but 1-2 mpg extra is what you'll get if you take a few things out of your trunk!

No comments: