Monday, September 19, 2005

Born Into Brothels

This weekend, I saw the wonderful documentary, Born Into Brothels, a moving story of children born in the world's oldest brothel, Sonagachi in Kolkotta, India. I often found myself tearing up, and was swept off my feet by the kids featured. It's essentially a tale of Zana Briski, a NY-based photographer who teaches the kids of the brothel photography and tries to use their art to get them out of the brothels and into a decent school. It was truly a wake-up call for me for the needs of so many children, for school, for a decent life, for love ... the children we forget while focussing on meaningless crap from movies to sports. This movie moved me, but I only hope I can keep it in mind rather than allowing myself to drift into the same old habits.

You can learn more about the movie and the kids at the Kids with Cameras website

No comments: