Friday, December 16, 2005

College Football and Academic Achievement

This story by Mark Starr highlights what I have long held against college football - the fact that it is a farce! I love the NFL, the superior quality of performances and all that goes with it. I know the athletes play for the money, and noone ever claimed otherwise. College football, on the other hand, is a lie - the supposed theme is that players are amateurs, playing for glory while still studying and getting a college degree. 'Bullshit!' is the pronouncement of a new study, which shows how dismal graduation rates and achievement of academic standards among football players are. Turns out this players aren't quite deserving students after all! That's what really bothers me about college football - the hypocrisy of it all.

Oh, and I've seen another study that some economics professors at Cornell did which shows that having a football program does NOT enhance alumni giving, as is conventional wisdom!

No comments: